Performance Hockey Courses
These intensive courses are aimed at ambitious girls & boys at a variety of playing levels, from beginners, to those who are 1st XI school and club players, right up to county players and those who are on the fringe of regional and JRPC selection.
The courses are run with an excellent balance of fun and hard work, whilst improving individual core skills and match play.
The courses will be delivered by our Head Coaches, Louise Catchpole and Stuart Loughrey, assisted by their team of fantastic coaches.
- 10 years International – England Hockey
- World Cup, European Cups, Six Nations
- 11 years Premier National League – Clifton
- England Masters Captain 2016 – current
- Level 3 EH coach
- Director of Hockey at Clifton College for 15 years
- Clifton College reached National finals for last 13 years
- Loughborough University Sports Scholar
- Irish u16(captain),u18(captain),u21
- 1st cap 2011, 93 Senior International caps
- Played in World League, European Championships, & Olympic Qualifiers
- Next goal – World Cup 2018 & Olympics Tokyo 2020
The courses will include:
- Attacking play
- Defensive play
- Speed Agility Quickness (SAQ) techniques and training
- Match situations
- Advanced stick work
Course age/ability groups
We split the players in to 3 distinct age groups at the start of the course, ages 5 – 7 years, 8 – 11 years and 12 – 13 years. Coaching within these groups is delivered by experienced hockey coaches, on approximately a 1:10 basis, ensuring quality training is received by each attendee. Based on the experiences of the Head Coach throughout the course sessions, players may be moved between age/ability groups depending on their improvement and abilities throughout the course, and numbers attending.
All groups will be nurtured in a positive and creative environment, ensuring all boys & girls reach their maximum potential. Players will work on all aspects of their game and will be introduced to drills and skills used by top-class players, with tactical play developed to National League standard. The aim of the courses are to fully develop each player from day 1, helping them to achieve their maximum playing potential.
Coaching will take place at the Clifton College Sports Ground in Abbots Leigh, a regular venue for county tournaments, with registration at the Sports Ground each day.
The players will also get to experience the different playing surfaces with training on the new International standard water based pitch.
Coaching will take place in all-weather conditions, with the main pavilion being used for drying off and warming-up when the weather gets too extreme!
- matches and match situation practice (weather permitting)
- course tailored towards the enjoyment & improvement of each individual player
- fun learning environment allows players of all abilities to develop their skills
- coaches all qualified & DBS checked, with First Aid qualified staff on site
- individual specialist coaching
- short term and long term goal setting with the longevity to improve the player
- coaching taking place at the Clifton College Sports Ground at Abbots Leigh, with it’s fantastic water-based astroturf pitch
Clothing for the course should include t-shirt & jumper, tracksuit and trainers (astroturf trainers can be worn). Warm wet-weather gear should also be brought along. Mouthguards and shinpads are ESSENTIAL for this course. Players should bring hockey sticks if they have them, but we will have a few available to lend to those attendees without. There is no need for participants to bring any valuables for these courses, although a mobile phone may be brought and left with staff during the day.
A hot lunch will be provided each day at the Sports Ground, please inform us of any special dietary requirements in advance. Participants should bring water bottles to fill up during the day.